Looking to plan hassle-free and embalming summer holidays in India in 2023? Our selection of meticulously handpicked Best places to visit in Summer in India, along with recommended summer tour packages, have been assembled to offer you the widest choice of exotic, calm, and sun-soaked locales across India.
From the mighty Himalayan peaks, pristine North East to the tropical beaches of the Andaman and Lakshadweep or even the Nilgiris - inscribed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site, there is no dearth of options when it comes to choosing summer holiday destinations in India.
In some of the renowned luxury hotels in the Himalayas with award-winning spa centers, summer vacation in India gets more emotionally, mentally, and spiritually uplifting. Find comprehensive information on some of the most blissful and mesmerizing places to visit in summer in India to plan your holiday.
Or save time and head straight to our collection of summer tour packages in India with destinations as spectacular as Ladakh, mesmerizing as Himachal, Darjeeling, Kashmir, Ooty, pristine as Andaman, or culturally rich as North East India.
Or browse through our list of the best summer holiday destinations in India, featuring cool hill stations, pristine beaches, and rejuvenating Ayurveda resorts. For those planning a summer vacation in India, here are some fantastic places to visit in India during the summer season, from April to July.
Are you planning to go on Summer Holiday in 2023? These are some of the best summer places in India
Shimla: Victorian Architecture
The capital of Himachal Pradesh is one of the most popular hill stations in North India. The cool Himalayan breeze, scenic views, and heritage resorts make it one of the best summer destinations in India. From the Himalayan trails decorated by lakes and apple arcades to the Victorian Architecture and colorful markets, there is everything to enjoy during a family vacation, adventure holiday, or honeymoon in Shimla.
Things to do in Shimla
- Explore Mall Road
- Drive to scenic Jakhu Hill from Shimla
- Visit Lord Hanuman's Temple
- Visit the Viceregal Lodge
- Stop at Annandale to experience Polo Games
Ladakh: Himalayan Adventure
The adventure capital of India needs no introduction. Its incredible natural beauty and cool atmosphere place put Ladakh among the top summer holiday destinations in India. Buddhist monasteries, azure lakes, and exciting Himalayan passes make opportunities for bikers and hikers to experience thrilling adventure activities in Ladakh.
Things to do in Ladakh
- Take a bike ride through the rocky trails of Ladakh
- Visit the blue Pangong Tso Lake
- Enjoy a camel ride through the sand dunes of Nubra Valley
Nainital: Emerald Lakes
One of the most popular summer getaways from Delhi, Nainital is famous for its emerald Naini Lake, surrounded by lush mountains. Scenic views, great accommodation options, and easy accessibility make Nainital one of the best tourist places in north India for summer vacation.
Things to do in Nainital
- Enjoy boating in Naini lake
- Visit Naina Devi Temple
- Take a cable car ride to the snow viewpoint
- Trek to the Tiffin Top
- Explore Mall Road, visit the zoo, and Eco Cave
Darjeeling: Tea Garden Paradise
The tea gardens in Darjeeling make an appealing invitation for travelers to enjoy the stunning views and magical tea aroma in this charming hill station in the Northeast. The views of Kanchenjunga, lush tea gardens, toy train rides, markets, and monasteries are the top attractions to cover during a family summer vacation in Darjeeling.
Things to do in Darjeeling
- Visit the famous Ghoom Monastery
- Visit the zoo and Himalayan Mountaineering Institute
- Visit Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park.
- Explore Mall Road and bustling Batasia Loop
Munnar: Absolutely Serene
Munnar tops the list of the best summer vacation places in India. The misty roads, lush tea plantations, mountains, and waterfalls make impressive views and charming climate for the best family summer vacations in India.
Things to do in Munnar
- Witness the sprawling tea plantations
- Enjoy Horse riding, cycling, trekking, etc.
- Visit the gushing Athirapally Waterfall.
- Explore Eravikulam National Park.
- Visit Old Munnar markets
Rishikesh: Adventure capital
The stunning panorama, yoga retreat, and charming climate place Rishikesh amongst the best destinations for a summer vacation in India. The great opportunities for bungee jumping and white river rafting in Rishikesh also make the place one of the best adventure destinations in India in summer.
Things to do in Rishikesh
- Take part in Bungee Jumping
- Enjoy River rafting and camping.
- Visit Yoga retreat.
- Watch evening Ganga Aarti at the Ghat.
Auli: Skiing Paradise
Adventure seekers head to Auli during winter to enjoy skiing. For its stunning panorama, Auli is also tagged as one of the most romantic destinations in India. The snow-capped mountain peaks over the green pastures and the cool climate make it ideal for the best family summer vacations in India 2023.
Things to do in Auli
- Travel to Joshimath by the ropeway and enjoy the panoramic view.
- Go on trekking adventures to places like Gorson and Kuari Pass
Kashmir: Heaven on Earth
Kashmir is unarguably one of the best places to visit in India during summer. When we talk about summer destinations in India, Kashmir tops the list. Kashmir has everything a traveler likes to enjoy- flower-filled pastures, lush greenery, snow-capped mountains, lakes, and houseboats. For a summer trip in India, Srinagar, Gulmarg, and Pahalgam make a magic trio for every traveler.
Things to do in Kashmir
- Cruise in the azure Dal Lake
- Enjoy a gondola ride in Gulmarg
- Visit the Bollywood shooting destinations in Pahalgam
Manali: Little paradise
Blessed with eternal natural beauty, Manali offers everything, including adventure, serenity, and spirituality, making it the best tourist place in India in summer. While adventure lovers can indulge in trekking, skiing, paragliding, and rafting, others can visit the temple, markets, and monasteries or just relax on the lap of nature. The marvelous panorama and Himalayan breeze make Manali one of the coolest summer destinations in India.
Things to do in Manali
- Indulge in Mountain trekking and river rafting
- Enjoy the cafe culture
- Explore the markets
- Visit the temples and monasteries
Gangtok: Friendly Hill Station
Unarguably one of the best summer holiday destinations in India, Gangtok is one of the most beautiful places to visit during your northeast trip. The capital city of Sikkim is nestled amid the clouds and surrounded by lush forest, mysterious caves, picturesque meadows, and gorgeous views of Khangchendzonga.
Things to do in Gangtok
- Visit the Rumtek Monastery
- Visit the Gangtok zoological park
- Explore alpines flora and fauna along the Indo-China Route
- Enjoy gorgeous views from Tashi View Point
- Trek to Changu Lake and Tsomgo Lakes
- Enjoy a ropeway journey to the highest point of the city
Meghalaya: Abode of clouds
With abundant natural beauty, Meghalaya offers a peaceful summer vacation in India. Nowhere else can you experience such a fantastic landscape that termed the Capital of Meghalaya Shillong the 'Scotland of the East'.The exceptionally charming climate of Meghalaya makes it one of the best summer vacation places in India.
Things to do in Meghalaya
- Enjoy Boating and water scooter riding on Umiam Lake
- Visit the famous and glistening Elephant Falls and Nohkalikai Falls.
- Explore the famous Living Root Bridges.
- Visit Mawlynnong Village the cleanest place in the world
Kalimpong: Family Vacation Spot
Darjeeling and Kalimpong are like twin brothers making way for the best summer vacations in India with kids. But what gives Kalimpong an edge over Darjeeling is that it is untouched and less frequently visited by people. So, Kalimpong is for those looking for a quiet summer getaway from Kolkata and other places. This beautiful hill station in West Bengal is a perfect summer destination owing to its pleasant nature, panoramic views, and proximity to other tourist attractions in the Northeast.
Things to do in Kalimpong:
- Enjoy Paragliding, bird watching, and fishing
- Relax by the side of the Teesta River
Coorg: Kashmir of Karnataka
The stunning sunset points, waterfalls, and plenty of coffee plantations make Coorg the 'Kashmir of Karnataka'. Home to four national parks of South India, Coorg offers a cool climate and vistas during the summer and monsoon, making it one of the best places for vacation in July.
Things to do in Coorg
- Wonder at Abbey Falls
- Hike to the Raja's Seat and Bylakuppe
- Relax and enjoy water sports on the bank of the calm and peaceful Cauvery
- Visit the gorgeous Iruppu Falls and Unchalli Falls
- Visit the Igguthappa Temple and Omkareshwara Temple
Lonavala: The gateway from Mumbai
A beautiful hill station within an hour's drive from Mumbai, Lonavala tops the list of summer destinations in India for couples, especially for Mumbai-dwellers. You can choose to relax in the lovely resorts or step out to explore the caves, or click pictures with lush green backgrounds. Escaping the monotonous city life, Lonavala offers many activities to indulge in.
Things to do in Lonavala
- Explore the historical sites like Korigad Fort, Karla Caves, Bhaja Caves.
- Visit the Rajmachi Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Enjoy a night camping in Lonavala.
Mount Abu: Hill station of Rajasthan
When Rajasthan burns in the scorching summer, this only hill station in Rajasthan offers relief to the travelers. The cool breeze from the Aravali makes a charming climate to enjoy a family summer holiday tour in Mount Abu on a budget.
Things to do in Mount Abu
- Visit the Nakki Lake and enjoy a boat ride
- Walk down to the sunset point to see the most beautiful sunset
- Visit the world-famous Dilwara temple
- Visit the wildlife sanctuary and explore its floral diversity and colors
Ooty: A Green Heart of Nature
This queen of hills welcomes everyone with alluring greenery and numerous tourist attractions. Jaw-dropping vast meadows, Sky-high Mountains, dense eucalyptus trees, sparkling waterfalls, and the cool breeze are more than enough reasons to make Ooty the best place for a summer vacation in India. Ooty renders modernism and tradition in nature's lap, making it so fascinating.
Things to do in Ooty
- Take a ride on the Nilgiri Mountain Toy Train.
- Visit Dolphin Nose to catch the breathtaking view.
- Plan a picnic at Pykara lake
- Visit Mariamman Temple to see the Architectural beauty.
- Explore Pine Forest
Kodaikanal: A Gift of the Forest
Accelerate the thrill and excitement with the natural beauty of Kodaikanal that emerged with looming elements of sheer peace. The endless charm of nature and breathtaking spots make it one of the best summer vacation destinations in India with family. You can capture unforgettable memories with a Night Safari, Kodaikanal Lake, Pine Forest, Kukkal Caves, and much more surprising beauty.
Things to do in Kodaikanal
- Experience the thrill with Guna Caves
- Go for bird watching at Berijam Lake
- Visit Karuna Farm to rejuvenate yourself
- Take blessing from Kurinji Temple
- Take a ride on a boat in Kodaikanal Lake.
Yelagiri: Enjoy Peaceful Mountain Heights
Explore this marvel of nature in summer with a peaceful atmosphere. Yelagiri has marked its position in the list of best places to visit in summer in south India with family and friends due to its vast attractions and thrilling activities. Moreover, you will get peace and a cool breeze with the Swamimalai and Javadi hills. So be in touch with Yelagiri this summer to make your holiday remarkable.
Things to do in Yelagiri
- Go for trekking and scenic view with Jalagamparai
- Enjoy Boating in the Punganoor Lake
- Visit Velavan Temple for witnessing splendid architecture
- Enjoy the Magnificent view of the Valley with Swamimalai Hills.
Nandi Hills: A Gem of South India
This mesmerizing hill station is filled with breathtaking views, stunning attractions, and a surreal experience. Enjoy a touring holiday in summer with Nandi Hills with a nature walk and thrilling talk. If you are planning to visit places to go for a summer vacation in South India in May and June, then this place must be on your bucket list.
Things to do in Nandi Hills
- Enjoy the pleasant climate with paragliding
- Take nature walks along with hills
- Add thrill to your holiday with trekking at Skandagiri Hills
- Biking or cycling
- Get peaceful vibes with Amrita Sarovar
Horsley Hills: Nature’s Charm
With picturesque landscapes, grey clouds, and embossed blue in the sky, Horsley Hills is magnificent in so many ways. This beautiful scenic destination offers a luxurious setting of hills amidst a bounty of natural beauty. To make your summer vacation amazing, you can delve into the beauty of captivating scenery and adventure activities with these hills. It is one of the top summer holiday destinations in India to spend a holiday in the lap of nature.
Things to do
- Visit Mellama Temple to get divine vibes
- Know the value of Environment with Environment Park
- Experience the Wildlife with Koundinya Sanctuary
- Go to Horsley Hills Zoo for an enjoyable experience.
Mussoorie: Get Ready to Surrender to Nature
The scenic beauty and serenity of Mussoorie make it one of the best places to go for a summer vacation in North India with family. It is home to several thrilling adventures like trekking trails, ropeway, paragliding, sky riding, and water rafting. There is no shortage of fun activities in Mussoorie. The idea of going for an adventurous holiday in North India is incomplete if you have not kept Mussoorie in your mind.
Things to Do in Mussoorie
- Try Horse Riding for a unique experience
- Water rafting for thrilling water fun
- Indulge in the wildlife with wildlife safari
- Boating for the beautiful view
- Explore the market for Shopping
Mukteshwar: A fun-packed Hill Town
Blessed with a serene ambiance, pleasant weather, and magnificent views of the sky-high Himalayan ranges, Mukteshwar is a thrill-packed hill town. The tourist attraction in Mukteshwar includes fruit orchards, coniferous forests, Rolling Meadows, and age-old temples. The little houses and cottages built in colonial style give an exotic touch to the town. Experiencing a peaceful atmosphere, freshness, solitude, and cool breeze bring explicit joy to the heart. The lush green woods, narrow hilly trails, and soothing climate make it one of the top summer holiday destinations in India.
Things to do in Mukteshwar
- Go for trekking to breathe in the mountain air
- Enjoy Paragliding in the blue sky
- Explore the offbeat place- Sitla
- Explore the market to indulge in Shopping
Kasol: A Scenic Paradise of India
Embrace the trekking adventure, absorb the calmness of mountains, camping near the river, and fill your diary of memories with exceptional experiences. Kasol is a stopover tourist destination that makes your holiday remarkable with its charm and serene beauty. It is renowned for its thrilling treks, scenic beauty, and lush green forest. All these things come together to fill your holiday with happiness. If we list the top tourist places to visit in summer vacation in North India in April, May, and June, this picturesque destination always gets the place on the list.
Things to do in Kasol
- Trek to KheerGanga for some challenging fun
- Go for shopping from streets
- Visit Moon Dance Café
- Explore one of the most intriguing Village-Malana
- Walk along with Parvati River
Spiti: A gem of Himachal Pradesh
Being known as 'Little Tibet' to some and popular as the 'cold desert mountain valley' amongst others, Spiti is the epitome of paradise on earth. This gem of Himachal Pradesh is filled with many attractions and activities. It is considered one of the top tourist places in India for the summer holidays because the weather is pleasant, and the days are sunny and clear to explore the beauty perfectly. Moments you would enjoy in Spiti Valley will remain as treasured memories in your heart forever.
Things to do In Spiti
- Camping at Chandrataal Lake
- Enjoy Trekking to Mount Kanamo
- Go for a Bike ride
Pachmarhi: An epitome of Natural Beauty
Enveloped with dense forests, Pachmarhi is quintessential to the natural beauty that offers greenery, serenity, and wildlife and renders tourists with tranquillity. The beauty of magnificent lakes, nature's finest view, and the greenery floating in the air make it one of the most admirable places to visit in summer for couples. You can create memories with your loved ones and family to spend quality time with wow factors.
Things to do in Pachmarhi
- Explore the ancient caves
- Enjoy electrifying adventure with Ziplining
- Land Parasailing at Satpura adventure club
- Admire the beauty of Bee fall
- Hiking at Dhoopgarh
- A unique way of trekking-Waterfall Trekking
Lachen: Epitome of Natural beauty
This quaint village is the ultimate summer destination that offers mesmerizing scenic beauty, alpine pastures, and diverse flora and fauna. If you are looking forward to visiting one of the best tourist places in India in summer, then you should go with Lachen. It is heavily blessed by Mother Nature and surrounded by the cool breeze. Nature lovers and birdwatchers will feel delighted as many tourist attractions welcome them with wide arms open. The presence of Kanchenjunga National Park and Rhododendron sanctuary take wildlife beauty to the next level in this Sikkim's paradise.
Things to do in Lachen
- Visit to Gurudongmar Lake
- Experience greenery and lofty mountain chain at Chopta Valley
- Explore the architectural art at Lachen Monastery
- Redefined the beauty of nature with Thangu Valley
- Go to Green lake- A heavenly abode.
Pelling: A Blend of Nature and Culture
Cradled in the realm of the Himalayas, located at the foothills of Mount Kanchenjunga, Pelling is a scenic tourist destination with a wide range of places and thrilling activities. From experiencing the beauty of town to indulging in spectacular culture, Pelling is marked as one of the best tourist places in India for summer holidays with family. This Sikkim town will amuse you with so many attractions in every moment of your stay.
Things to do in Pelling
- Experience Darap Cherry Village
- Have fun in the waters of Kanchenjunga Waterfalls
- Visit Rabdentse Ruins to know the history
- Trek to the Kanchenjunga National Park
- Go for a picnic at Sewaro Rock Garden